Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spinach Pie/Silver Beet Pie

I have lots of silver beet in the garden and I gave some to a neighbour. He said that they really enjoyed it because it's not as strong as the silver beet one buys in the supermarket.







I asked how they cooked it, he said they made a pie with ricotta cheese. It so happened that I chatted with my sister and she said that her silver beets are really growing well. (I gave her the seeds.) She's also thinking of harvesting some and doing something with it. I said make a pie, and I proceeded to tell her about my neighbour and that I have given him a bag of silver beet again today, etc. etc. etc. Search for a recipe and I will search some too, I said to her. The wonders of the internet, in a few seconds, I found a recipe and pasted the link in our chat. She said, you bake it first and if it is nice, then I will bake it too. Sisters! So, here's the result of that pie. I tweaked it a bit, and I doubled the recipe because I have lots of silver beet, remember.









  • Ingredients:

    ½ - 1 cup of cooked rice
    2 sheets frozen, ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed
    1 bunch English spinach or silver beet, washed and shredded (chopped finely)
    2 -3 tbsp of olive oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 cup grated cheese
    1 – 2 rashers of bacon, chopped
    2 – 3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 tbsp of milk

    Directions:

    Preheat oven to 220 C (200 C fan forced). Line a 23 cm pie dish with 1 sheet of pastry. I used a big rectangle pyrex dish and used 1 and ½ sheet to line the bottom. And the same amount of sheet to cover the top. I am not very good with pastry, so you can see where I put one on top of the other. lol
  1. Heat oil in a pan.
  2. Add the onions. Stir until translucent, then add the bacon.
  3. When the bacon is cooked (to your liking) add the spinach/silver beet to wilt it a bit.
  4. Keep stirring, then remove it from the heat.
  5. Cool it down a bit, or if you are like me, impatient that is, mix the cheese, rice and beaten eggs right away. Season it with salt and pepper. Watch your salt; remember the bacon and cheese have salt already.
  6. Spoon the mixture to you lined dish. Brush edges of pastry lightly with water.
    Top with remaining pastry. Press edges of pastry together.
  7. Brush pastry top with milk.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp.
  9. Serve hot or cold. In our case, it was served hot and there was no left over to know what it tastes like cold.

No comments: