For the meatballs:
500 grams minced beef or pork
1 onion, minced
1 tsp of minced dried garlic
Salt to taste
1- 2 eggs, whisked
2 – 3 slices of bread, soaked in water, squeezed out extra water
Mix all ingredients. Make small balls and bake in 180 C oven until cooked.
For the beans:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 500 grams packet of frozen baby beans (or fresh if you prefer – top and tail)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped finely
1 tsp five spice Chinese powder
1 – 2 tsp of fish sauce
1 400 ml can coconut milk/cream
Sauté garlic in oil.
Add onions, stir until translucent.
Add the five spice powder, stir thoroughly.
Add the beans, cooked until soft.
Add the fish sauce.
Pour the coconut milk and let simmer.
Add the cooked meat balls, stir through. Remember, the meatballs are cooked already.
Thicken the sauce with corn flour dissolved in water if necessary.
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
6 eggs separated
1 ¼ cups caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp white vinegar
300 ml thickened cream
Any fruits you want to decorate it with. I used peaches (from a can) and fresh bananas.
- Preheat oven to 120°C.
- Line an oven tray with foil. Brush with melted butter and dust with cornflour, shaking off excess. Mark a 24cm-diameter circle on foil.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar dissolved.
- Rub a little meringue between fingers. If still "gritty" with sugar, continue to whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until just combined.
- Spoon meringue onto the foil, using the marked circle as a guide.
- Smooth sides and top of pavlova.
- Use a small spatula to forms little peaks around edge of pavlova.
- Bake in oven for 1 ½ hours or until pavlova is dry to the touch.
- Turn off oven.
- Leave pavlova in oven with the door ajar to cool completely.
- When completely cold, transfer to serving plate or store in an airtight container until required.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the cream in a medium bowl until firm peaks form.
- Spoon cream onto the top of pavlova.
- Decorate pavlova with peaches and bananas,
½ cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, whole or minced
1 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
500 grams of spaghetti
Pepper, chili or cayenne (if desired)
Brown garlic, minced or whole, thoroughly in olive oil.
Stir the chopped parsley through. Add salt to taste.
Boil spaghetti 10 – 12 minutes in salted water or cook according to the packet’s instructions.
Drain very dry.
Add to oil, garlic and parsley mixture in the pan and turn until thoroughly moistened.
Add pepper (if desired) or serve pepper separately.
Turn out in platter and serve.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
½ c. all purpose flour or corn flour/starch
2 eggs, slightly beaten
½ tsp. salt
1/2 k. lean pork, cut into 1" cubes
Cooking oil for frying
1 c. broth or water
1 c. pineapple chunks or rings then cut into pieces
1 green or red capsicum, diced
1 carrot, cut in rounds
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1 onion, chopped finely
Sweet and sour sauce
1 tbsp. cornflour dispersed in
1 tbsp water
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vinegar
the juice of the pineapple
Combine all ingredients
Sunday, August 3, 2008
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup white caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Spray cake tin or mamon molds (you can use regular muffin pans if you don't have molds)
- Sift plain flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until very foamy like meringue but not stiff
- Add sugar gradually and continue beating
- Add vanilla and vegetable oil
- Add egg yolks one at a time and continue beating
- Add plain flour and baking powder and continue mixing
- Spray the cake tin or molds or muffin pan and pour mixture about 2/3 full
- Bake in preheated 160 C oven for approximately 12-15 minutes for molded mamon or 25 minutes for the cake or until golden brown