Friday, November 20, 2009

Pichi-Pichi or Cassava Kutsinta



Pichi-pichi is a very nice name for a dessert, isn't it? It's only now that I'm in Australia that I got acquainted with pichi-pichi. I know it as cassava kutsinta.
This recipe inspired me to make pichi-pichi today. Oh, and my sister Lhie (she lives in Sydney). She was going to make some and I said, I will make some as well so that we will have pichi-pichi together. She was the one who found the pichi-pichi recipe on the net and very kindly shared the link with me. Just looking at the recipe, I thought it would be very sweet for my taste buds so I did a bit of tweaking. And I used the ingredients that's available in our area. At the moment we are into pandan, so i made the one with the pandan flavoured. Lucky I still have some pandan essence from the supplies my sister brought over from Sydney, and also some I bought from Melbourne.
You might like to check this recipe, if you don't want to make pandan flavoured pichi-pichi.
Ingredients:
450 g of frozen grated cassava
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp lye water
1/2 tsp pandan essence
dessicated coconut or freshly grated coconut
Directions:
  1. In a mixing bowl, mix cassava, water and sugar thoroughly.
  2. Add the lye water and continue mixing.
  3. Add the pandan essence, and yes, continue mixing.
  4. Fill the moulds 3/4 full with the mixture.
  5. Steam between 25 to 45 minutes.
  6. Cool before removing from the moulds. Run a knife on the side of the moulds to remove them.
  7. Roll the pichi-pichi onto the grated coconut. I used dessicated coconut as we rarely see fresh coconut in our supermarket here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

due its color (green), this can be served for a Mardi Gras theme party (Mardi Gras colors are purple, green & gold).

Lory said...

that's a good idea. I'm sure it will be a hit too.