Monday, April 21, 2008

Pinangat na Ulo ng Isda sa Kamatis (WARNING: Others might find these pictures gross)


















I have an abundance of tomatoes from the garden and I still have one fish head left in the freezer. I was wondering what to do with the tomatoes, and it just so happened I was chatting with a friend and I asked her how to cook Pinangat using tomatoes. I am so used in cooking/eating the one with tamarind and she gave me an idea how to cook it. And this is how I did it.

Ingredients:

1 fish head (it's better if the belly is still attached to the head)
5 - 6 pieces of ripe tomatoes, roughly sliced
1 medium to large onion, sliced
ginger, sliced thinly ( I used 2 tsps. crushed ginger from a jar, works perfectly as well)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp of olive oil
some bok choi or pechay (optional)
Method:

  • Place the rougly chop tomatoes, onions and ginger on the bottom of a sauce pan.
  • Lay the fish head on top of the mixture.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Cover and simmer the fish for roughly 5-7 minutes.
  • Check the fish and turn it over so that it will cook on the other side. Be careful.
  • Cook for another 5 minutes.
  • If it doesn't have enough sauce, add water then add the pechay.
  • Put a dash (1 tsbs) of olive oil before switching off the stove.

Serve it with steam rice and fish sauce on the side. If you like chili like me, spice it with chili or just mix the chili with your sauce. Enjoy.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks! I'm just learning how to cook and I find this helpful.

Lory said...

Hi Liza. I'm glad that you liked this recipe. Goodluck in your cooking. You'll find that cooking is a lot of trial and error. If you like what you cooked, then it's a success. All the best.