Monday, June 7, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken



I have posted Sweet and Sour Pork already, but I thought this sweet and sour chicken is a lot simpler. It's also a lot quicker to cook, in my opinion.




I was craving for some chicken necks, don't know why, I guess it's because I saw them at Coles Supermarket the last time I was there. So I sent the hubby to buy some. And he came home with marinated chicken thigh fillets. He said the butcher didn't have any chicken necks. I wonder what they did with them? Hmmm ... Anyway, I didn't really want to bake the chicken thigh fillets, so I thought I better make a sweet and sour out of them.




I must admit, it turned out really well, considering they have been marinated in some sort of sweet chili garlic God knows what else. The hubby was quite pleased with the outcome as well. He was quite proud of himself in buying the chicken thigh fillets.

Ingredients:

4 chicken thigh fillets, cut bite size
4 tbsp of cornflour
salt and pepper for seasoning
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 capsicum (red or green) sliced
2 medium carrots, cut round
1 can of pineapple, cut into bite size pieces

Sweet and Sour Sauce (mix these ingredients thoroughly)

1/4 vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt or thereabouts


Directions:

  1. Mix the cornflour and chicken and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat the oil in a wok then fry the chicken, until slightly cook. Remove the chicken from the wok and put on a plate with absorbent paper.
  3. Cook the garlic in the remaining oil (add some more oil if necessary).
  4. When the garlic is brown, add the onions. Cook the onions until translucent.
  5. Add the carrots, capsicum and pineapple pieces.
  6. Cook until carrots are tender.
  7. Return the fried chicken and add the mixed sweet and sour sauce.
  8. Keep stirring until it boils, then thicken with cornflour if you desire.
  9. Serve with rice. Enjoy.

No comments: