Monday, June 7, 2010

Okoy (vegetable patties)

I bought some mung bean sprouts the other day coz I wanted to cook some vegetable lumpia. But when I had a look at the freezer, no lumpia wrapper. So I did the next best thing, Okoy.





Lucky, I also have some pumpkin, so I combined the two together and made a good okoy. I have done this recipe before with all different kinds of vegetables. I used, zucchini, corn, carrots and with great success too. I think, it all comes down with the vinegar dipping sauce. But then again, my hubby does not eat them with vinegar so they must be good by themselves ;p (lucky I was able to enticed my boys to try vinegar dipping sauce, now they love it)


I had some left over roast pork from last night, the okoy below have pork. I must admit, I like the one without pork better. It's a good thing, Kim liked the one with pork.





Ingredients:

100 grams of mung bean sprouts, cleaned thoroughly
100 grams of pumpkin, grated
1 large onion, chopped finely
salt and pepper
1 cup of self raising flour
1 cup of cornflour
2 eggs
3/4 - 1 cup of water
oil for frying.


Directions:

Combined the flours in a mixing bowl.
Add enough water to make a good consistency.
Add the eggs and seasonings.
Put the mung bean sprouts, pumpkin and onions.
Mix thoroughly.

  1. Heat oil in a frying pan.
  2. Spoon the mixture onto the hot oil and flatten the mixture a bit.
  3. Do not clutter the pan, so that the okoy won't be ruined.
  4. Watch them so that they won't burn. Turn them over when they turn brown but not burnt
  5. Repeat until all the mixture is cooked.

For the sauce:

Combine
vinegar
salt
pepper
freshly crushed garlic
chili (as many as you can take)

No comments: