Thursday, April 22, 2010

Coconut Macaroons

I found this recipe at the back of the packet of a dessicated coconut when we were living in the Gold Coast way back in 1993. Well, we were not really living there, we were just having an extended holiday. 6 months is still a holiday, right.?Anyway, I used to bake this a lot back then. I always like macaroons, so when I found this recipe I was so excited I could finally bake some myself. I was just learning to bake at that time too, and this is a very easy recipe.






What triggers me to bake this again after all these years? Well, my sister Lhie who is learning to bake told me she just baked some, and she was quite impressed with herself. My son, Kim saw the pictures she posted on Facebook, and he wanted some, so I baked him some. And here are some of the macaroons I baked just a while ago.






Ingredients:

4 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1/2 cup caster sugar
4 1/2 cups dessicated coconut

Directions:

  1. Beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
  2. Beat in egg yolks (onto the egg whites - for the benefit of my sister) one at a time.
  3. Gradually add sugar.
  4. Stir in coconut, use spatula to mix well.
  5. Line muffin trays with patty pan papers
  6. Spoon mixture onto the patty pans. Press the mixture slightly.
  7. Bake at 170 C for 15 - 20 minutes.

No comments: