Saturday, June 6, 2009

Kalamay/Kalame Nasi/Reiskuchen




Kalamay or Kalame nasi in my dialect or as we call it in our house, Reiskuchen, is a favourite dish. The way I cook it is not very sweet, so it does not taste rich that you feel you had enough after just having a bite. It's even nicer the next day. When I was still in the Phillipines, we only cook this when there's fiesta or during Christmas or New Year. But now, I cook it whenever I have craving for it or when I have heaps of pinoy friends over. Although it's doubly popular with Aussie friends as well. But then again, all our aussie friends go GAGA about anything pinoy dish. I think, what makes this dish is the topping. It almost tastes like leche flan.
Remember, this is only a guideline. Cook it the way you want it. If you want it sweet, add more sugar. If you think it's very sweet, lessen the sugar.


Ingredients:

1 kilo glutinous rice
1 cup brown sugar
1 400 ml can coconut cream
1 can water

Directions:
  1. Wash the rice thoroughly.
  2. Put in a pot. Pour coconut cream plus water
  3. Mix well. Cook in a low heat, stir while cooking
  4. When the rice is almost cooked, stir in the sugar. Mix well.
  5. Transfer into a baking dish. I used a big pyrex dish. I usually spray the baking dish first before transferring the rice. The rice is not totally cooked yet, it should still be slightly liquidy.
  6. Level the rice then pour the topping.

Topping:

¾ can to 1 can of coconut cream/milk
½ - 1 cup brown sugar (depending how sweet you like it)
½ cup condensed milk
2 – 3 eggs

Mix all the ingredients.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180 C for 45 minutes or until the topping is brown or burnt (however you like it -- I like mine slightly burnt on the edges. Yummy!)

No comments: